Re: [RT] Mentors:What makes a good Mentor

> Laudible characteristics.
> Several of  the characteristics lacking are:
> Honesty, Vulerability, and
> guilessness in the case of transmitting knowledge and technique.
> Lacking the above the mentor-prote'ge' relationship in this business will
> sour rather quickly, when the
> master say's, "Put another dime in the record machine. "
> When the Mentor is partially motivated by being needy upon the student for
> his/her livlihood, the relationship is poisonous..

Yep. Unfortunately, there seems to be an inverse relationship between
the amount charged and the quality of instruction. The very best stuff
is free. I look at it this way. If a trader has been in the business for
xx years, and is good at his craft, he is making enough that he has no
need for the chump change of student tuition. If he is charging the big
bucks for tuition, he is probably depending on that for his income,
rather than the profits from his trading. You need to ask yourself why
that is. One possibility is that he is not as great a trader as he
claims and finds it easier to make money teaching. There are some great
traders who get personal satisfaction from teaching. They don't need the
money and they don't charge anything. Look at the stuff Tim posts on his
web page as an example. He uses the internet as an easy way to
communicate with as many people as possible and it's all free. Even
Mark, with his own unique style <g>, gives away a lot of good stuff for
free. Contrast that to those who drop vague hints about "secret
knowledge" and refuse to impart their "knowledge" unless you pay (and
pay and pay). It's pretty clear to me who is motivated by a sincere
desire to help and who has other motives.

--
  Dennis