  To: <A title=realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  href="mailto:realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx";>realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2001 10:35
  AM
  Subject: Re: [RT] book info--Hurst
  channels
  Like anything else in this business, this is not a stand alone
  thing.  You should be using offset moving averages and a tangential
  extension.  That is where the problem is.  Everyone's tangent is
  different.  I use Hurst's cycles as a confirmation, rather then as a
  trading system.  Normally in a down market the high will be reached in
  the first half of the cycle. and in an up market the high will be reached in
  the last half of the cycle.  This works the same for indexes, futures and
  stocks.  There are many ways to use any system, Gann, Eliot, astrology,
  moon phases or even a reading of tea leaves and the casting of stones.
  Trading is an individual endeavor and what works for one may not work for
  another.   If you are consistently profitable then it is combination
  of your trading acumen and the system you use.  Neither stands
  alone.  So good trading.  Ira.
  Joe Duffy wrote:
   The problem is the extrapolation is rarely
    going to be where the centered moving average actually is going to be by the
    time it catches up. Therefore your channels are not going to be in the same
    position. Therefore the beautiful job Hurst channels look like they do, is
    only possiblle in retrospect. I am not saying this to denegrate the work in
    any way. Only to point out to those that are seeing them for the first time,
    that its not as dandy as it looks. Having said all that, there may be
    other ways to use them that I don't know. A million ways to make $, and I am
    not denegrating the concept, just throwing in a caution.
    <BLOCKQUOTE
      <DIV
      Ira Tunik