Re: Re[2]: [RT] E-Mail problems with RT posts

At 12:32 PM -0400 4/22/01, Jerry Rehert wrote:

>My columns do not line up in your email.  What does that mean?  Am I using a
>different font from you?

You may have figured it out by now since Earl's post explained it.

But if not, you need to change the default font for viewing plain
text messages to some fixed-width font. I use Courier-New but there
are several others.

You also should set the same font for composing messages.

I use an email client called Eudora Pro that has a key combination to
"Unwrap selection" which is very handy for fixing html messages. It
will remove all formatting, extra spaces, and end-of-line characters
and revert it to plain, flowed text (no end-of-line characters). If
someone copy/pastes in something from a web page. it usually ends up
as mostly garbage in the message but this command will instantly
clean it up.

As an example, the following text was copy/pasted from John Murphy's web page:

----

Fri, Apr 20, 2001 - No Major Buy Signal - Yet!

                    WEEKLIES IMPROVE, BUT STILL NEGATIVEŠOn April 7
(Long and Short View of the Dow), we talked about the daily MACD
lines for the
                    Dow turning positive (suggesting a bottom of some
type), but were concerned by the negative readings on the weekly and
monthly charts.
                    Chart 1 shows that MACD weekly histogram lines are
converging, which is an encouraging sign that longer-range
bearishness is diminishing
                    [The histogram lines plot the difference between
the two MACD lines]. However, the two MACD lines still have to cross
to give an actual
                    "buy" signal. (see Chart 1)

----

If I select the text "unwrap" then "wrap" (two keystrokes) it looks
like this:

----

Fri, Apr 20, 2001 - No Major Buy Signal - Yet!

WEEKLIES IMPROVE, BUT STILL NEGATIVEŠOn April 7 (Long and Short View
of the Dow), we talked about the daily MACD lines for the Dow turning
positive (suggesting a bottom of some type), but were concerned by
the negative readings on the weekly and monthly charts. Chart 1 shows
that MACD weekly histogram lines are converging, which is an
encouraging sign that longer-range bearishness is diminishing [The
histogram lines plot the difference between the two MACD lines].
However, the two MACD lines still have to cross to give an actual
"buy" signal. (see Chart 1)

----

Needless to say, a big improvement! Perhaps other email clients have
similar commands - I have never been able to find them in the
Microsoft stuff...

Bob Fulks