Re: [RT] Tail wagging the dog?

This is a good observation.  I think we've seen the start of the
bloodletting with Schwab.  But the advent of the Internet has brought new
economies of scale and thus fewer staff to let go.  With less fat to trim,
the bloodletting may be more muted than in the early 70's when corporate
productivity was very low.

The curmudgeon in me says "serves them young sharpies right".  Maybe now
they'll get a taste of what a real bear market is like.

I can hardly wait until the mob is dragging "The Motely Fools" into the
streets.... :-)

-- John

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Earl Adamy wrote:

> Some musing overnight brought back more recollections of the 1972 bear
> market. Aside from the deflating of the technology bubble (it was computers
> and software), and the felling of the Nifty Fifty, the most memorable event
> was the blood letting in Wall Street ... brokers, managers, back office
> staff being fired by the tens of thousands. I would not look for anything
> other than a trading bottom until the blood letting is well advanced in Wall
> Street and in every other metropolis the mutual fund giants call home.
>
> Earl

John T. Nelson           |  John's Trading Journal
trader@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   |  http://trader.computation.org/

    Hosted by Lexonia Internet Services
	     http://www.lexonia.net/

http://us.click.yahoo.com/n4HqaC/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/zf_UlB/TM