Re: [RT] Valuation - Tech

I picked up the Investor's Reference Library screening tools a couple of
months ago and they have provided a lot of insight regarding the flow of
money into stocks. The premise is basically taken from O'Neill's CANSLIM
methodology and it works: buy the strongest stocks in the strongest sectors
and require strong earnings and strong accumulation. In a declining market
one must be far more careful however there are sectors and stocks making new
highs every day. There is no way to measure strength and demand long before
the strength is exhibited so the trick is to identify it early on when it is
showing up and then riding the trend ... in many cases those stocks will be
at or near recent highs but have the strength to carry much higher.

With respect to energy, there are times when sea changes occur and, as you
know, I believe energy scarcity is one of those changes which will be with
us for 3-5 years. Wall Street is one giant stock marketing organization and
it always needs a story with which to peddle stocks ... tech stocks were the
last story and I believe energy is quite likely the next story. You are
correct in remembering that energy stocks have several times been elevated
to astronomical PE's and that they, like tech stocks, were ultimately
trashed ... the trick I think is to not get too piggish but with a half
dozen Exploration & Production stocks carrying PE's of 5-8 and rapidly
rising earnings, I'm not yet concerned. The drillers I own do carry higher
PE's along with rising earnings and I'm keeping a close eye on them however
the institutions are accelerating their purchases (block trades) so I don't
think it's time to bail. The issue which makes the PE expansion proposition
a bit more dicey than prior history is a bear market in equities ... a
factor which keeps me very cautious. Were we in a bull market, I would be
buying aggressively on all dips and holding for 2-3 years, but for now I am
playing it week by week adding a bit here and a bit there as new candidates
emerge from the pack and old one's prove themselves worthy of increased
commitment.

My project for now is to build a shopping list which is ready to go when I
have buy signals on the market. Among the stocks I'm digging into which show
signs of accumulation: IKN, LIN, ANF, APOL, HSE, ACS, ANF, THQI, KMI, BGC,
BMET, MCCC, CHBS, RCII, EAT, PNRA - none of these are yet firmly ensconced
on my buy list because I have not completed due diligence. I've purposely
omitted all stocks which I hold (all of which are energy) and I sold RCII
late last week but will consider repurchase on retracement.

Earl