Re: [RT] Re: virus WSCRIPT.KAK.WORM

On Thursday, January 18, 2001, 7:55:52 PM, George Limberg wrote:

GL> The question is how to balance the ease of use with the group with
GL> common safety considerations.

If users insist on using an 'active' mail client such as Outlook, they
must realize they are opening themselves to major problems. Those of
us who use safe email programs or who take safe measures do NOT spread
virii to others.

Almost ALL the problem is from using M$ 'active' products. People who
insist on using these, and in the most unsafe mode, are the BIGGEST
problem for all of us. Also, how many are going to download the
patch-of-the-week to keep their M$ products safe from all the holes
found in these 'active' products?

GL> I would think by turning RT attachments  off, it would make it
GL> more difficult for members reading messages to  match them up with
GL> the proper files, not to mention the extra mouse  clicks to get
GL> the picture displayed.

Alternative products are JUST as easy to use and do not have the same
problems. My viewer does NOT execute code, get content from the web,
etc.

GL> I've always thought that people who are on this list were
GL> courteous enough to take precautions with virus checking.

The problem is that most users do not know they have it until their
system is trashed. By then, the virus has been sent to all in the
address book - the result of having an 'active' email progrem. In my
case, even if I DO get a virus, it will NOT be sent automatically to
anyone else.

GL> suppose one idea  would be to broadcast rules and then implement
GL> warnings and then  restrict those offenders from posting in the
GL> future.

I believe their were rules set up on this.

GL> But, I guess my  preference would be to see self-policing
GL> fail first.

Since we are still getting virii, it does not seem to be working that
well.

<temporarily end continuing rant>

ztrader