Re: Bonds?

2% bills and 3-4% bonds are within historical norms with low inflation and
decent economy. TBill rates were under 1.5% for a fair bit of the 50's and
under .5% for most of the 40's while long bonds spent most of the 50's under
2.5%.  I did my last major bond work a couple of years ago using monthly
charts and history back to early 30's and the fib work pointed to 5% minimum
target and 3.5-3.8% likely target for long bond and 1.4-1.9% likely target
for bills. So far I have seen nothing which indicates those targets will not
be achieved. The liquidity crisis in the bond market is opening some
interesting opportunities in investment grade debt. We are carrying heavy
laddered bond and bond fund positions in investment accounts and are
beginning to add to those positions during this pullback. The overall
strategy is one of seeking both investment income and gains in bonds into
the early part of the millennium during a period when I expect short term
paper and equities will not offer attractive returns.

It's not that I'm terribly negative on the world's economic prospects,
however the turmoil the world has been going through since Thailand is not
going to be fixed instantly. Nor is there US-style financial disclosure in
Asia or Europe so the unknowns will temper the availability of credit to
feed the growth engine. Further, we have the Y2K issue ahead of us, and
while I think the world will survive, there will be enough economic
disruption to slow things a bit more.

Earl