MKT: sentiment - bearish

                LOWRISK.COM

         INVESTOR SENTIMENT SURVEY

                 10 / 11 / 98

Below are the results of our weekly "Guess the Dow" sentiment survey. The
survey was taken from 10/5 through 10/11 on our web site.

Number of participants: 474

30 day outlook:

28% bullish,  27% last week
57% bearish,  49% last week
15% neutral,  24% last week

(percentages may not sum to 100 due to rounding)

Median guess for the DJIA closing value on Friday, 10/16: 7695 (it was 7777
last week). More complete sentiment data is available at
<http://www.lowrisk.com/sentiment.htm> .

Bullish sentiment edged up 1% to 28% this week, but the big mover was
bearish sentiment which jumped 8% higher to 57%. Given that bearish
sentiment was already at a very high level AND the DJIA actually gained 115
points on the week, this jump in bearishness is very suprising and would
suggest that the market has some more room on the upside.

To try this week's contest, stop by: http://www.lowrisk.com/guess.htm
More sentiment data is at: http://www.lowrisk.com/sentiment.htm

best regards,
Jeff Walker