Re: Long term capital

There is an expression in trading about risk management which essentially says
: set a threshold of pain (mental stop) and a threshold of panic (real stop).
There is a systemic problem with hedge funds.  If you trade two instruments
which are assumed to be negatively correlated to one another...the Prime
Brokers will allow you to carry almost an infinite amount of leverage.

If I can carry almost a trillion dollars in notional value with less than 1% in
capital in a traditional long/short then a loss of correlation can be
devastating.  LTCM short was in bonds against a long in a number of
areas...some in emerging markets and some simply in U.S. Blue Chips which were
held synthetically long (long calls/short puts).  When leverage like that is
allowed...the doubled edged sword of leverage...swings back the other way.

The good news is that in the future the OTC derivative market will probably get
regulatory treatment similar to the listed market(In all fairness I work for a
listed market  CBOE and I have what might be viewed as a biased view)in terms
of margins and position limits.