Re: Long term capital

Scot -

You are absolutely right. You need to have an exit on any position. I
use Elliott to define said areas. It does not make a difference how you
come to your decision, as long as you have it. Then the question is: Do
you put that stop into the market, or do you monitor the market and keep
it in your head? I tend to put it in the market to avoid emotional
hang-ups and changing my mind thus causing a larger loss. SAY YOU ARE
LONG AT 1000 WITH STOPS AT 980 ON SECURITY-X. You might start thinking,
well, it is only going down to 975 so let me change the stop. Why not
exit, even go short then, and think about a long. SO NEVER CHANGE YOUR
STOPS FURTHER FROM YOUR ENTRY.

As for LTCM, they thought they had stops. Of course, they had a foolish
hedge, SHORT TREASURIES AGAINST EMERGING MARKETS DEBT. When that stuff
goes wrong, it goes wrong BIG. Soem people have said it was a trillion
dollar position, you can't have stops on that. I SAY: "BULLS--T!" At a
minimum, they could have closed the bond side, legging out of it, and
staved off some of the damage. But, the problem was, a lot of it was in
illiquid bonds, and options trades that the counter parties did not want
to take the other side of. They put themselves in a position that was
very difficult to extricate themselves from. So, IN ADDITION TO HAVING
STOPS, NEVER PUT ON A POSITION THAT YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO EXIT
GRACEFULLY FROM!