Re: GEN: trades anyone?

Hi Phil,

I often exit based on other projections, however the use of such is
valid from a statistical point of view. I do in fact track the
historical vol ratio in such a fashion, with "Low" values being below 50
% and High values at 150%. Mathematically
speaking when the ratio is low the short term market vol
has decreased to less than 1/2 the value of the long term
vol. High values imply that the short term vol has not only
reverted back to the average "mean" but is now trading at an
inflated premium compared to long term vol.

Thinking in terms of standard deviation and probability
it wouldn't be a bad idea to take profit on a long vol
position initiated on a low value, and with the market
now trading at a value greater than 150. I am not sure you
could trade this in a totally mechanical fashion
though. You will need further confirmation from other
stuff as to the best exit and entry. One thing a lot of
option traders forget is that volatility is never "high" nor
"low" . It is "relative" ! Highs can always go a lot higher and lows can
go a lot lower.

Regards,
Walt Downs
CIS Trading