Re: FYI the Dow in 1896 hit a low of 28.

Understood. Thank you. I contribute some degree of insight to Real Traders
from time to time as I find that it helps me to clarify my own thinking
about the many aspects of trading.

I never stated that calculating the rate of return/change was wrong or
unimportant. I find the ratios that I sent to the forum useful in looking
at the whole of the history of the market the same as any average or
percentage would be. As stated in most years there would be a less then 1%
increase. Looking at a year like 1997 with a .22 percent increase in one
year is quite enlightening. Those are straight percentages and aren't
adjusted in any way. Over the last year I posted several charts and other
analysis that suggested that in my mind we were approaching an extreme and
I said that the market was likely to have a large pull back sometime before
the year 2000 based on that behavior. You can judge for yourself what has
happened.

I thank those that send me encouragement for the insight that I give. Even
if I try to be objective my insights will be colored by my understanding
and my experience.

Brent