Re: AN ACT OF CONTRITION

Sorry to continue the off-topic thread, but two thoughts came to mind
here.

It was Churchill who said that democracy was the worst form of
government...except for all the others.

Regarding impeachment, the main standards are treason and 'high crimes
and misdemeanors'. The latter phrase has never been defined, but comes
from English common law, where it clearly referred to immoral behavior
which weakened the authority of the person in question.

An easy example is a president who turns out to be a drunkard (ala
Yeltsin?). As originally conceived, moral turpitude of the sort admitted
here would certainly have applied, although times change. The issue
could turn on things like the potential for blackmail of the president,
or the abuse of his power to have sex with a subordinate.

JMO

Dan Goncharoff