Re: Dow data problems

Thanks for your reply. My problem is not how to fill the gap - that is
simple manipulation in a spreadsheet. I have already filled in the missing
dates as my original chart illustrated. What I am trying to ensure is that
the daily closing values prior to 12th December 1914 are an accurate
representation of the facts. I think it is safe to say that the century low
for the Dow Jones Industrial Average was on Monday 9th November 1903.
However, to determine the correct value on that date, the data prior to
1914, might have to be adjusted, by a factor of perhaps x.765, to bring it
into line with data after 1914.

Therefore, my question to the RealTraders list is this: Can anyone suggest
the correct adjustment factor to use or suggest where I might be able to
find out?

Appended herewith is the relevant section of the ascii data file in Date,
Close, Volume format.

Also, does anyone know why the index was suspended in 1914?

So why, you may ask, is this relevant to trading decisions today? The late
WD Gann advised applying time and price analysis to 100 years of data to
identify future price levels and turning points. I have always found his
work illuminating, therefore, identifying the true low for the DJIA is
important.

Richard