WitchHunts: This Is A Long Post. If you are pressed for time, Delete This Post!

  • To: RealTraders Discussion Group <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: WitchHunts: This Is A Long Post. If you are pressed for time, Delete This Post!
  • From: James Knox <knox1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 04:30:29 -0400 (EDT)

John, Eddie, The In-Group, and the rest of us,

I have been a member of this forum for over a year.  Rarely have I ever
posted anything to the forum.  I've been through MurryMath, the
Ratchford follies, and many other longstanding unpleasant grudges.
Having observed much of this, I can honestly say I have learned very
little about trading from the forum itself.  Occassionally I do get a
gem or directions to a useful website, but for the most part I've
absorbed how to survive the membership:  What to say, how to say it,
What not to say, and Who not to cross.  None of this is useful in
trading of course, but very necessary to being a member here.

The fact that someone gets removed is not the issue.  The fact that
members can form a successful witchhunt is a little unsettling.  We had
our own version of Nosterdomus.  He called it his way.  He explained it
his way, and the fact remains, it happened the way he said it would
happen.  No one was being forced to read his comments or trade his
style.  Personally I did not care whether he was right or wrong, it
wasn't my money on the line.  It appears however that it outraged, the
In-Crowd.  Why?  I just don't get it.

Let me say this.  I personally don't have the SuperDuper Encore 3000,
complete with charts from the Ice Age during the first Global Warming
period prior to the fall of Atlantis.  Some people do.  I don't get
whatever it is they are talking about - not ever - maybe it's me, maybe
it isn't.  I also don't get the complex formulas ....
[10 squared divided by the y-axis + Todays High - Todays Low etc.etc.]
and yet we have formulas for everything.  But, I've heard it over and
over again, you can't pick Tops or Bottoms. The Market is always right.
No system works all the time.  These things go in cycles ... yet forum
members go on and on, with great conviction about "what is going on in
the market."  Does anyone ever get removed for this - I can't recall
any.  We get a blast about Moving Averages - in depth - then finally
someone will say, "but you can't trade 'em cause they are all lagging
indicators."  So, we get a guy who says "hold up a piece of paper to
your computer screen and observe the uptrend is broken" -or- the
infamous "BirdsBeak" theory.  What's the difference between "BirdsBeaks"
and 1-2-3 Tops & Bottoms, or Predidential Cycles, or Planetary
Influences?  The question is, how do we trade these "thoughts" of ours?
Unless someone is willing to step up and tell us all exactly what works,
I don't think they should be able to screen out what doesn't work.

Ya Know Guys .... if I came into this forum and politely introduced
myself as just returning from a research trip where I correlated the
mating season of the African Spider with the DJIA Index, I would not get
"run."  I guarantee it.  I could say that my studies revealed
interesting comparisons on the 3rd week of every Month beginning with
the Letter "J."  At this point a discussion would ensue about the months
of January, June, and July.  I could throw in the fact that when Mercury
goes Retrograde I had a 100% accuracy level between the Afican Spiders
mating habits & the DJIA Index.  Could anybody disprove me?  No, because
we'd all talk about it, but nobody would start raising African Spiders.
As long as I properly labeled the topic "Futures: Afican Spiders," I
would  meet our forum guidelines.  NoBody on this forum would trade the
African Spider method and that would be that.  So don't trade the
BirdsBeak, but don't censor it, please!

There are a lot of people on this forum.  There are silent participants
and there are vocal participants.  We can't learn to trade, or how not
to trade with personal agendas intact. "Yes" is the open road, and "No"
is the path that ends all.  A forum needs to express itself, without the
threat of reprisals (the boot).  Was the man selling anything? - No.
Did anyone here buy anything? - no.  Did anyone get burned? - no.
Did "some" people take issue to his manner - Yes ..... What is all that
about?  So you disagree - Delete the Subject Matter - end of story!

Why do we continue to do this?  We are not all at the same level.  What
bores you, might be of interest to someone else.  A final comment to the
policemen of our group .... you can't save anyone from themselves.  We
are all going to get our knees scraped and our knuckles bloodied.  It
happened to you guys, it's happening to us, and that is just the way it
appears the learning curve establishes itself.

If I've offended anyone reading this, then you are personalizing the
intent of this post.  I have not quoted anyone, or singled anyone out.
There is a group consciousness to this forum.  It's not yours, it's not
mine, it's not even John's or Eddie's.  It is a Group Consciousness.
If it were not for John & Eddie there'd be no RT Group, and if it were
not for "all of us" there be no RT Group for John & Eddie.  Could we
please examine the possibility, of a little more tolerance to different
points of view, and manners of expression?

Have A Good Week,
James