Re: ADMIN: Consumer Alert

-----Original Message-----
From: Eddie Kwong <eddiekwong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: RealTraders Discussion Group <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, August 26, 1998 1:12 PM
Subject: ADMIN: Consumer Alert

>RealTraders:
>
>I am aware that some RT members who are following all our policies
publicly,
>are at the same time using the list to sell stuff to other RT members
>through the use of private email. If it's mutually consensual, then it's
>none of RealTraders' business.
>
>Rest assured that the majority of vendors on RT are honest and certainly
>they deserve your consideration. Therefore, there is no need to be paranoid
>or to live in an atmosphere of mistrust.
>
>With that said, I still think it's important for everyone to know that a
>small number of RT members have walked away from some of private
>transactions with a bad taste in the their mouth. That bad taste ranges
from
>sour to Liquid Plumber.
>
>My advice is:
>
>If you ever find yourself in the situation of considering passing money to
>another RT member as payment for some product or service, step back and
>pause to think about it for a few minutes.  Determine for yourself the real
>value of what you are considering purchasing and why you should have any
>trust in the person who is after your money.  If it is hardware or some
>physical item that has a market value check out the price you are being
>asked to pay, that is reasonably easy to do.  If it is software, the same
is
>true, but in addition you should obtain documentation that you are buying a
>genuine copy from the legal owner and not some ripped off copy. There is an
>awful lot in circulation right now.

        Hi Eddie,

        I would like to add a couple of comments to this.  If you are
dealing with a commercial vendor it is usually best to use a credit card.
All credit cards allow you to dispute charges if merchandise is not received
in satisfactory order.  The better ones offer additional consumer protection
from fraud.  Before making a purchase by phone, mail or Internet, check with
the bank issuing your card and see what protection is available.

        If you are purchasing an item from an individual (used software,
hardware, books, etc.), have the seller ship it to you C.O.D.   When it
arrives, pay for it with a personal check.  This will allow you two or three
days to examine the merchandise before the check clears.  If it is not
satisfactory, stop payment on the check and return the merchandise.

        No one wants to be paranoid, but no one wants to get ripped off
either.

                                            Good luck and good trading,
                                                        Ray Raffurty