Re: advisory service questions

C.A. Dees wrote:

> Some time ago I believe there was some discussion on the black box
> forecast fax &/or e-mail service that claimed 87% profitable trades.
> What was the concensus of the group on this service.Anyone have first
> hand expereience? Also anyone with knowledge of  IPO Insider in business
> since 1994 with a reported gain of better than 100% per year. Charles
Charles,
    Re the new issues question, the key in evaluating the 'track record'
of IPO Insider, New Issues, IPO Reporter, etc. is to determine where you
or any other small, public investor (as distinguished from a fund with
juice with the underwriting syndicate) would have been able to actually
buy the issue on the first day. Clearly a hot issue which is fully
subscribed @ $15 is going to open higher so that your entry price in the
open market realistically may be $20. The service may claim to have a
33% profit on that one (assuming it closes @ $20) but you, of course,
are even. Most of the services calculate their % return based on the
subscription price which ,on hot IPO's, is not available to you and me
in the open market on the first day - looks great on their promo
material though.  Best, Ken