is profit factor the best measure

Is profit factor (gross profit / gross loss) the best measure to compare
systems ?

I have tested several systems and often the number of trades differs
dramatically with different parameter sets.
This can have a huge affect of the net profit of different combinations,
and seems to make straight profit meaningless as a comparison measure.

I notice that some journals do not even list profit factor as part of their
results.

Is this something wrong with profit factor ?

All comments appreciated.

(I use tradestation)

Thanks
Peter