Re: Mechanical Trading Systems

In a message dated 8/7/98 4:56:53 PM Pacific Daylight Time, jvc689@xxxxxxx
writes:

> Subj:	 Mechanical Trading Systems
> From:	jvc689@xxxxxxx (John Cappello)
>
>  I have enjoyed the discussion on trading systems .....
>
>  1.  ....
>
>  2. Having paid for and used 6 different systems, I have found that all but
> one paid for itself in trading and the other 5 paid for the loser.That is my
> minimum criteria that the system will pay for itself and obviously maximally
> make money.
QUESTION:  FROM YOUR PRIOR POSTS, I KNOW YOU HAD TESTED MANY, MANY SYSTEMS.
NOW HOW WOULD YOU KNOW (AND WHAT DO YOU BASE ON TO KNOW) THAT A SYSTEM YOU ARE
PURCHASING WOULD MEET YOUR "MINIMUM CRITERIA THAT THE SYSTEM WILL PAY FOR
ITSELF" UNTIL YOU BUY AND TRADE IT?

AND WHAT KIND OF TIME FRAME OR HOW MANY TRADES OR HOW MUCH DRAW DOWN WOULD YOU
ALLOW TO TRADE A PURCHASED SYSTEM BEFORE YOU DECLARE IT NOT WORKABLE.

>  5. If you design your own system you have the added torture of blaming
> yourself for what you created if it performs poorly.  If it is a purchased
> system you blame the system.
QUESTION:  MY EXPERIENCE IS THAT IF I PURCHASE A SYSTEM AND IT DOESN'T WORK I
STILL BLAME MYSELF FOR MAKING A MISTAKE (WRONG DECISION) ON THAT PURCHASE.
HOW MAY YOU SUGGEST THAT WE CAN OVERCOME THAT GUILTY FEELING?

> I hope that my point of view is not offensive to anyone and that it will add
> to this forum.
>
>  John

THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH US.

SINCERELY,
WILLIAM