Re: Gen: Help understand statement

Kevin -

I think the point is that Ray has a plan that he uses and has developed
into a winning strategy which goes well with his own make-up. I do not
have the stomach myself for position trades in futures. I was bullish
yesterday on bonds, but sold out with small gains rather than wait for
today. So, bonds rose 1/4 onite. Oh well.

As for systems doing better without stops, you are right. Almost
everything comes back at some point. If you had bought the day before
the stock market crash in 1987, you would have been ahead again in a
couple of years. Though no stops is an extreme example, the point I am
making is that the wider your stops are, the better the system
performance will be, but the greater your risk of ruin is. Bob Pelletier
at CSI has a program that tests systems based on account size, win/loss
ratio, draw downs, etc that is useful in determining what presents you
with good odds over the long run.

One thing is clear to me though. YOU MUST TRADE WITH WHAT YOU ARE
COMFORTABLE WITH. If you cannot trade profitably with tight stops, then
don't! My reason for doing it is that I have a bad habit of cutting
profits short and letting losses ride, so the stops prevent me from the
latter. You seem to be doing something similar by taking counter-trend
trades with clear entry/exit levels. My only question is to you, is why
don't you trade with the trend? This is not meant as a bash, I am just
curious.

Steve