Re: GEN Y2K

I was just musing to myself, wondering what will I, an informed and rational market follower, do in December 1999.

I know the Y2K thing is overblown and probably won't amount to anything serious.  And yet ...

I'll probably take my money out of the bank and liquidate all my stocks for a couple of months JUST TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE.

And if I'm thinking about doing this, so must millions of other Americans.  JUST TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE.  Gentlemen, I do believe we are in for a rout.

Moreover, I got to thinking, well ... how best to trade that scenario.  Clearly it will be a good time to short the market or buy puts.  Maybe fly to quality by going long the bonds.  My God .. maybe I should sell my house and move the family into a trailer.  Then again, what about hurricanes!

And then I thought, if that's how I'm thinking about trading the scenario, so must thousands of other speculators and money managers.

In which case, it's usually a good idea to be a contrarian.

So.  Come December 1, 1999 I'm going to buy as many S&P calls as I can afford.

But then again ...

>>> "Adrienne C. Hanley" <eeh3@xxxxxxxxxx> 07/14 9:38 PM >>>
The Y2K problem is well laid out in Ed Yardeni's book which is free for the
reading on his homepage:

http://www.yardeni.com/

It is great reading and he keeps it updated. He now predicts that there is a
70% chance of a global recession starting in Janurary 2000, due primarily to
the Y2K problem and lack of attention to it.

http://www.year2000.com/y2karticles.html

is also an informative site on the subject.

Ed Hanley