From: Stuart Hazlewood <shazlewood@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: RealTraders Discussion Group <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, July 20, 1998 1:17 PM
Subject: Re: Option Strategy

>Doc:
>
>You're absolutely right and I wiull NEVER sell a naked put.  I used to have
an account managed by Larry MacMillen who lost $25k in one trade selling 11
naked S&P strangles.  I closed it down after that trade.

>HOWEVER ... I think there is merit in selling naked calls at 1 sigma out of
the money (sigma based on Implied Volaitility).  The reasoning is: ...

>-  the market moves more slowly top the upside
>-  a move to the upside will reduce the Implied Volatility of options
>-  you can measure the strength of the upside move in sigma terms.  If the
daily move exceeds the sigma boundarty by too much (let's say a 2 sigma
move) you can close the trade out for minimal losses.

>With all the Elliott Wavers calling for a top this week or next,
particularly Robert Miner whom I respect a lot, I may well sell some calls
at 1 sigma out of the money.

>What do you think?
>
>-  Stuart

>The analysis is fundamentally correct, but unweighted.  You have to examine
what you lose the 10% of the time that the vol is wrong.

>If a strategy made you money 90% of the time would that be enough?
>
>Let's say the same strategy would bankrupt you 2% of the time...same
strategy.

>Stuart Hazlewood wrote:
>
>> I just finished reading a book by someone called K. Anand containing some
rudimentary option strategies (backspreads, naked strangles, hedged with a
long straddle when IV falls, etc.)

>> The news in it was the following:  according to the author Implied
Volatility provides the real range for the market over any given time
period.  Thus you take the at the money IV for let's say the S&P and project
the market range based on this number.  For example, assume the following:

>> Sept S&P is @ 1200
>> At the Money IV = 15%
>> Days to expiration (August) = 32
>>
>> Expected movement = sqr root (32/365) * 1200 * .15 = 53
>> Expected range at expiration = 1147 to 1253
>>
>> The real news is that, according to Anand, this range has held true
historically 90% of the time.  He therefore recommends strategies that are
short at 1 sigma based on the at the money IV.

>> Since I have not been able to find a database of at the money IV for the
S&P, I have not been able to back test the theory.  Any comments?