Re: Degree in trading (Alternative)

Interesting...

On 17 Jul 98 at 13:39, Essan Soobratty wrote:

> The definition of anyone who is successful at anything whether it be trading or
> whatever implies that the person has spent many years of hard work, sleepless
> nights, stomache ulcers, loss of appetite and ruined relationships climbing the
> ladder of success.  Sure there are many who whould give an hour of their time or
> even a day and not charge an dime or expect anything else in return.

and we have THE DOCTOR saying:

> I'm kind of dismayed by the assumption that anyone would expect any
> of these successful traders to really give it away.  If I had
> developed a really valuable methodology for trade I would trade
> it... not sell if.  And that is exactly what they do.
> .... I know a good number of highly successful traders and I fail to
> see a compelling reason why anyone would assume they would be
> willing to share the wisdom they have acquired over the years.  At
> the same time most of the folks who sell

Essan says essentially that you can't give away many years of hard
work in an hour and THE DOCTOR implies that there are secrets that
can be let out over lunch that can make a person successful.  I tend
to agree with Essan on this one.

On 17 Jul 98 at 13:39, Essan Soobratty wrote:

> But be
> realistic.  What do you expect to learn in such short a time and more
> importantly how do you expect to benefit?   Do you think that there are secret
> methods or alogrithms that if revealed will change anything for you?  That's
> partly why many traders do not wish to teach.  Because they know it takes a hell
> of a lot more than a few hours or even days of lectures to lift you to a new
> level of acheivement in trading.
>
> I'll repeat what I have been trying to say for 2 days now.  If you feel you must
> learn from other traders then join a trading desk.  Its the only effective way.

I think, if I were working hard everyday, trying to become a
professional basketball player, it would help, motivationally, to
know that others have already made it to the point of playing
pro ball.  Basketball, being entertainment is very visible.  Everyone
knows that professional basketball players do exist.  You can watch
them perform.  You can see their moves and strategies.  Their
salaries are even made public.

Not so with trading. A person studying to develop the skills of
an off-the-floor trader doesn't really know what skills he needs to
perfect.  He really can't watch anyone do what he dreams of doing and
doesn't really know for sure that there is anyone doing
it successfully.

Anyways, If I were a future pro basketball star just starting out, I
would give almost anything to spend an hour with Michael
Jordon.  Successful people can be very strong motivators for some.

Glenn
gpeder@xxxxxxxxx