Re: STOCK OPTION TRADING-PROBLEMS

Altif - My comments intermixed with yours in CAPS.  THE CRUX OF THE
ISSUE IS ADDRESSED IN YOUR POINT #3. Steve
ALTAF JUMMA wrote:

> Hi  RTrs,
>
> I ran into the following problems while trying to help a friend trade stock
> options  under  fast   market conditions:
> 1. Internet based PC Quote was  too slow sometimes  the option  price was 2 or 3 point off the broker price. AOL was the internet provider.
==>AOL IS SLOWER THAN A LOCAL ISP AND INTERNET IS PROBABLY SOMEWHAT
SLOWER THAN A LIVE SYSTEM SUCH AS DTN SATELLITE OR INSTITUTIONAL SYSTEMS
FROM REUTERS, BLOOMBERG OR BRIDGE.'

> 2. On the other computer we had charts  of stock price from rttrader
> internet based also,  the difference in the stock price  between the two > service was 2/3 points at times -one service would be faster at certain > times slower at  other time. The internet provider was AccessPro. ==> ANOTHER REASON TO GET OFF THE NET.

> 3. My friend had an account with Waterhouse Securities. Using market orders to get in and out cost a point or two off the option price for example if > the price on the option was 11 if we were getting in  we would pay 12 or more, if we were getting out we would get 10 or less. Since then we have started asking the bid and ask and put a limit  order at the ask sometimes we would have to cancel and replace order a few times because the price moved away. ==> I THINK THE BIGGEST PROBLEM YOU HAVE ARE STALE OPTIONS QUOTES, NOT A PROBLEM WITH YOUR QUOTE SERVICE. THE CBOE (OR ANY EXCHANGE) DOES NOT CONSTANTLY UPDATE QUOTES ON EVERY OPTION, SO WHAT YOU ARE SEEING IS LAST TRADE. IF THE STOCK HAS MOVED SINCE THE LAST TRADE, THE OPTIONS PRICE COULD BE FAR AWAY FROM WHAT YOU THINK IT IS. ALSO, YOU DO NOT KNOW WHETHER THE LAST TRADE WAS BID OR ASKED. YOU ALWAYS NEED TO HAVE YOUR BROKER CALL THE PIT TO GET BID/ASKED UNLESS YOU HAVE AN OPTIONS PACKAGE THAT SHOWS VOLS SO YOU CAN GET AN ESTI!
MATED PRICE BASED ON CHANGED STOCKS PRICES. THE ONLY SAFE METHOD THOUGH IS GETTING THE QUOTES. YOU SHOULD BE PLACING YOUR OPTION TRADES BASED ON MOVEMENT IN THE UNDERLYING ANYWAY.