Re: Gen: Australian Bonds

Jim,

The (fwd) yield implied by the Sep 3yr Bond Future is around 5.29% and the
(fwd) yield from the 10yr bond future is 5.51%.  Yields that are very close
to those in the US.

"Cash-and-carry" trades (such as borrowing yen at 0.75% and investing in the
US at 5.7% can only work if you do not cover your implied fwd currency
position - otherwise you would have risk free cash!!  You can only take
advantage of the interest differential by not (or maybe partially) hedging
the currency exposure.

The currency fwds market already takes into account the interest rate diffs,
hence it is more "expensive" to buy yen foward than it is to sell it spot.

Hope this helps.

E.