Re: Gen: Probability regarding Long Straddles.

As far as I can tell...the 90% comes from two areas.

1. The fact that 90% of options go unexercised...this is factually correct.  The
OCC calculates the data monthly and in effect about 90% of options do go
unexercised.  People then often ask "isn't unexercised" the same as expire
worthless.  The % exercised relates to two issues.  Profitability, of course..and
transaction costs.  In a frictionless world the % would be a multiple of the
current 10%, BUT the option world is FAR from frictionless.

2. A lot of people, IMHO, like to make the case that it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE, to
make money from the longside...generally to justify some idea or product.  IN FACT
ONCE YOU UNDERSTAND OPTIONS AND OPTION PRICING you come to understand that what
the pricing model does(for a given volatility)is to create a price at which the
buyer and the seller would both have identical risk/reward properties.