GEN: AsiaPac fx/gold - Long post

Just met the sales manager for Indonesia's largest polyester company ($2.2
billion revenue) - says the Western world has no idea of what's going on
there - that its gonna take a long time for things to be fixed - Suharto had
kept the lower income groups happy with subsidized edible oil, noodles &
rice prices; and the Generals happy with cushy "profit-sharing"

IMF changed that - people went crazy.

Japan's actually extending credit in Pac Rim to keep working capital finance
available and postponing older/senior debt. China is holding firm on
currency but drastically reducing internal credit supply and tightening
credit controls so that the weaker Chinese players fold... says if the HK$
or the Remnimbi are hit, its gonna set that region back by 5-6 years.

Everybody wants the US$. The expats are paid USD salaries at US $1= 4,500
rupiah (mkt price is 10,850) - says those numbers are not really accurate
coz nobody does trades at those numbers - just "bid/ask" or one minor trade
done here or there; internally prices have gone up but not by 300% and
everybody generally assumes that 4500 is fair market value.

He says he's never seen a run on banks like this one in Indonesia - long
lines at ATMs, the biggest bank folding (Chinese owned) - Chinese expats are
not yet back - new buildings frozen in mid-construction...

Here's today's headlines from indian newspapers...Indian market's
perceptions of gold/silver as a risk-hedge are playing out...

Gitanshu

> [...]

>   of regional trade. A weakening yen surely dampens the prospect for
>   those Asian exporters which hoped to bypass reduced domestic
>   purchasing power to try and reach the Japanese market through their
>   export competitiveness helped by their own depreciated local currency
>   values against the dollar.
>

>Sharp rise in bullion prices
>
>   Silver prices zoomed up by Rs. 260 a kg and gold hardened by Rs. 70
>   per ten gram on the bullion market on Tuesday due to firm global trend
>   coupled with a sharp rise in dollar rate against the rupee. Ready silver
>   (.999) opened smartly higher at Rs. 7,830 and shot up further to close
>   at Rs. 7,865, showing a huge gain of Rs. 265 over the last close of
>   Rs. 7,600. Standard gold, after a better start at Rs. 4,220, rose
further and finished at
>   Rs. 4,230, displaying a smart rise of Rs. 70 over the last close of
>   Rs. 4,160.
>
>Rupee crosses 42 mark
>  RUPEE bears held at bay all through the previous week by sustained
>   State Bank of India counter dollar selling succeeded in making deep
>   inroads into the local unit's defence on Tuesday on the large public
>   bank making a significant shift in its dollar selling strategy.

>   The Indian rupee mired in self-doubt, set a fresh all time low at
>   42.23/25 against the dollar and showed signs of weakening further as
>   there is little on the horizon to change the negative sentiment that
>   currently dominates the market. It has now set fresh all time lows in
>   ten of the last 20 trading days since the Pokhran II. It has suffered
>   losses of almost 45 paise or little over one per cent since ending its
>   trading session on Monday, while dropping about six per cent since May
>   12, the day sanctions over nuclear tests were imposed on India. ``It
>   was the much awaited dip which came through in the absence of the
>   41.80 window of State Bank of India and it swiftly moved to 42.10
>   before closing weaker at 42.23", said Mr. Moses Harding, chief dealer,
>   IndusInd Bank. Probably, the market outlook may prefer a 42.10- 42.40
>   range and any breach of 42.30 and up to 42.50 should bring in
>   exporters to sell 6 to 12 months receivables. ``The market will be
>   turning to the selling mood when we near 42.40 to 42.50 and the market
>   is likely to be one way since importers have already covered their
>   payables at 41.80 spot window of RBI," Mr. Harding added.
>
>Smart recovery on BSE
>
>   Equities staged a smart recovery lifting the Sensex by over 51 points
>   on the Bombay Stock Exchange on Tuesday following hectic bear covering
>   and fresh buying by domestic institutions even as foreign funds
>   remained absent. The recovery process, which began yesterday at the
>   fag end of the session, progressed further as bears, who had sold
>   heavily in the last few days, rushed to cover their short positions.
>   BSE sensitive index, which dipped to the intra-day low of 3372.18 at the
outset, rallied smartly to close at