Re: Gen: Is trading gambling?

Pete,

Thanks for your input, I recall the discussion below. If it sounds like I'm
not getting all the discussion it's because I'm getting the digest form of
RT.

Hopefully avoiding a major religious debate, I want to consider a few
aspects of this question. Getting up in the morning may involve risk but I
don't recall any commandment saying thou shalt not get up in the morning.
Infact staying in bed indefinitely is probably a sin(not including those
confined to bed for health reasons).

For us in the west, one cannot ignore the 10 commandments as an ethical
guide. The 10 commandments don't mention gambling as I recall. They do
mention coveting and stealing. Running a gambling establishment could be
stealing. But gambling isn't stealing. Risking yourself and your families
welfare could be a form of theft in my opinion

Now about coveting, this is a question of motivation. Coveting riches is
coveting. Wanting to succeed and provide for ones needs is not coveting.

 It could be considered wrong to allow oneself or to encourage others to be
involved in sin. It's kind like being an accomplis. Brokers might be on
shaky ground in this, what is their motivation. Motive in the end is what
makes many actions ethical or not. It comes down to a question of degree
and we must weigh ourselves to find out what the degree is.

I think it's interesting that traditional farming is considered an
honorable profession. However, the risks involved in traditional farming
were colossal and the funny part is that the exchanges were created to
hedge some of that risk.

Best Regards,
Brent