Re: Gen: Is trading gambling?

At 06:53 PM 6/5/98 -0600, BrentinUtahsDixie wrote:
>RT's
>
>What do you think, is trading gambling? Below is the definition of Gambling
>from Merriam Webster.
>
>Gambling
>1 a : to play a game for money or property b : to bet on an uncertain
>outcome
>2 : to stake something on a contingency : take a chance
>transitive senses
>1 : to risk by gambling : WAGER
>2 : VENTURE, HAZARD
>
>Best Regards,
>Brent

Brent,
It is a wager to get out of bed in the morning.  Most accidents happen
close to home, so it is best to leave it.  I don't see the difference.  I
also wonder about what's the difference between trading and thievery.  Be
assured I am not some kook who's lost all moral discernement.  The real
philosophical distinction is hard to make, no matter what Webster says.

How about: Is selling market advice (trading systems) thievery?

5/15/98 -0400, Walt Downs wrote:

>>>Pete,
>>>
>>>ROFL. Lutheran .... hmmmm. My how this thread has blossomed. <g>
>>>So, basically what some are saying here is that its o.k. to fleece
>>>someone if they are too stupid to know better. This is certainly a
>>>practical and apparently lucrative approach. But, allow me to
>>>sum up some of the arguments:
>>>
>>>1. Everybody does it, so it's o.k.
>>>2. If people are too stupid to know better, then it's o.k.
>>>3. It takes advantage of people, but its not as *bad* as drugs, so it's
>>>o.k.
>>>4. What Jake did is crummy, but the guy that replaces him would only
>>>be worse, so it's o.k.
>>>5. If it hurts people, but makes an obscene amount of money, it's o.k.
>>>
>>>Wow. Then I guess it's o.k.
>>>
>>>Walt
>>>

>>Walt,
>>Your 5 points kind of do the straw man on the one side. How about a few
>words for the other one......
>
>Peter,
>
>Oh, I am *sure* the huckster has no problems taking the money.
>As far as a few words for the flip side of the coin, if one were to
>ask JB if he felt he had done anything wrong, I am sure he would
>say "no".
>
>Walt

Walt,
I don't feel I have done anything wrong when I picked up $500
on an option trade.  That dough came from another pocket out
there somewhere, whose owner earned it, and if s/he were dealing
face to face with me, might picture me as a huckster.  Exposing
me as such would be tough because we made a deal and the market
swung my way.  I did not misrepresent and thus, steal.
But still it is just simply business, both the trading we do
and the deals that JB and his ilk offers.  Taking action to
expose a crook is just one of many market forces.
PeteNa9090

Trading, business, gambling, thievery?  How do we sort it out?

Pete

P.S.  I don't thing we need to.  We all take chances.  The difference
between the honest but shrewd business deal and stealing is often
the elusive factor of the one party knowing something big or not
about his/her advantage in a deal and not disclosing it.  How many
of us disclose to the other party in our trades how we assess the
outcome or our reasons why we think they are wrong and will lose?
petena9090@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx