Disaster Recovery Plans

<x-html><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>

<META content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-1 http-equiv=Content-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>Good Morning RealTraders:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>Well it sure has been an interesting week with
the Galaxy 4 satellite going out of orbit. This has caused a real sore spot for
a lot of us and in a lot of different ways. I am going to dispense with the
reasons and whining and go right into the future.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT><FONT
size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<STRONG>DISASTER RECOVERY PLANNING</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Satellites have been extremely reliable in the past, but not
without flaws. Technology is not perfect and subject to human error. Knowing our
limits should become one of our greatest strengths.&nbsp; We must not place all
the blame on the data vendors but some on ourselves perhaps. <FONT size=2>This
is where our minds should be focusing right now. If we are responsible traders,
we should have a written disaster recovery plan for such circumstances first and
foremost. Secondly, we should also take the time to formally write our data
vendors and request they do the same. Some of them may say, we have one already,
but it is more than obvious, it is inadequate based on the amount of downtime.
Disaster Recovery Plans are like due diligence, an ongoing process that requires
continual review and updating. </FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2><STRONG>My plea to all
RealTraders</STRONG>:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>Later this week I will post the name and
addresses of the President's of each data vendor that I can find. I would like
to ask all of you to write them and request that they review their disaster
recovery plans, or establish one if they don't have one. The idea is to work
with the data vendors in a constructive manner so as to avoid such occurrences
in the future. If I were them, I would view this situation as a great marketing
opportunity by touting a comprehensive disaster recovery plan. The objective is
zero downtime. Although this may be deemed unrealistic, it should be a
goal.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>Respectfully,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>Richard J. Chehovin</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
</x-html>From ???@??? Mon May 25 11:56:50 1998