Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 14:44:00 -0500
From: John Dundee <jdundee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: support@xxxxxxx
Subject: [Fwd: Data Transmission Services]

Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 12:02:20 -0500
From: John Dundee <jdundee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, @dtn.com
Subject: Data Transmission Services

A message to DTN customer support and services:

I have been agonizing over the service problems DTN has been having over this
satellite transition and also doing everything I can to get back on line and
back in business. I trade for a living, it is my business and lose money each
day my system is down and I cannot trade.

It is DTN's position that they were justified not answering or taking their
telephones messages for 3 days because they have over 180,000 customers. I am
one of those that is having special problems, not back up yet and sweating it
out as to what to do next.

DTN is back on  now with a temporary satellite. There is a problem here.
After two days and several hours of fine tuning my receiver cannot get a
steady lock . I have some knowledge of radio waves and tuning them and sense
that the signal is weak at this location. It may require a larger disk which
I am told cannot be sent to me until Wednesday. Two more trading business
days lost. Without any on site technical inspection or support it is just
speculation that this is the problem. It could be something else. I am told
it could take another week to accomplish, another week of business lost. This
all may be a mute point because as of June 1, 1998 you are moving to a much
more easterly satellite and everyone will  need to realign again. One big
problem. I live in California and understand you know know the new satellite
will not cover all of California effectively and will probably require two
satellite locations to properly serve this state and its customers and you
have no such plan at the moment. My window envelope to the sky is very small
and may not work with the next new satellite. It will not even work on the
current location. I begged for someone to send me a larger dish via Fedex,
"we work Sunday's",  right away. "Sorry everyone is gone".

In thinking this out it looks like it time to look for alternatives as I may
not be able to get the DTN Instant service any longer. I just made the
transition to DTN Instant Satellite from BMI Cable 2 months ago.Which
resulted in more lost time and money while getting the system properly
installed and running here.

In spite of the fact this was a major business crisis for DTN and its
customers requiring allot of management and company employee extra time to
handle properly. Right now, being a long weekend, nothing is going on. The
excuse I have been told is that you have over 180,000 customers and can not
handle all the communication or servicing them promptly in a situation like
this. With that many customers looks roughly like something over $20 million
dollars a month in revenue. Seems like enough to work with just reselling
radio signals that you should able to respond with decisive affirmative
actions to help your customer's especially those having major special
problems . This reminds me of when it was discovered that AOL had a service
crisis because their equiptment had been handicapped because they had
oversold their services and the public was not getting what it was paying
for. I believe the Federal government stepped in to forced them to get up to
speed or get out of the business.

I also mentioned to the last service representative I spoke with, I hoped
that, at the least, DTN was planning  to make a big adjustment to my billing
for my loss of service and income from my business. "No comment"

At this point I am not having a pleasant holiday weekend as I spent all day
yesterday and the day before working on trying different locations and
settings with my satellite antenna and now worring about how many more days
of business I will lose getting the problems permanently fixed or
establishing a new account with another data service next week and now having
to write this message.

I hope that someone there will take the ball and run with it at getting my
problem resolved quickly.

John Dundee
Telephone: (714) 540-3900

John Dundee