Re: GEN: All indicators lag, don't they?

At 05:42 PM 3/24/98 EST, Peter 2150 wrote:
>In a message dated 98-03-24 17:38:12 EST, CalaxCorp@xxxxxxx writes:
>
>> I have heard of the term "leading indicators" before.
>>  So is there not such a thing?
>>  Could someone give me examples of "leading indicators" if they exist?
>>  And how they can be used?
>>

>In Economics and I guess to a broad sense in the market there maybe are
>leading indicators.  Interest rates might be an example of a leading
>indicator, which in broad terms can effect the economy and the market.  But,
>technical indicators to trade off of....  Only one I can think of is wishful
>thinking or maybe just plain guessing.
>
>                                   Pete

You are forgetting Gann, Elliott, (and the astrologists on this list
will tell you) Astrology, and the category of indicators for
Cycle Analysis. And my favorite, Fibonacci. Probably other too.

There are many technical indicators which lead price. When they
are used in conjunction with lagging indicators, they can
dramatically improve your odds.

Unfortunately they usually do not operate on a simple mathematical
formula, so are not commonly available (in a usable form, anyway)
in most charting packages. My experience is that Fibonacci studies
in most charting packages are useless, far too shallow, and they
make your chart an unusable mess of color... But others
will disagree, "your mileage may vary".

-Neal.
Investors/Traders, win software/data/news at the
PureStocks Market Competition
http://www.purebytes.com/cgi-bin/pb/purewin.cgi