Re: Computers for sale, loaded with TS4.0 + several mechanical systems

A couple of concerns.  First, technically speaking, TS licenses aren't really
transferable, from what I hear - this would potentially present a problem if the
"permanent" password needed to be replaced, which happens far more often than you
may think.  As well, the new user might have trouble receiving the Y2K patch when
it becomes available, get version 5.0 at the reduced rate - (if it ever is
released in our lifetime, that is), or receive technical support. At the very
least, prospective buyers would be well advised to check with Omega to ensure that
none of these problems surface.

Secondly, while I assume that it is possible for TS 4 to run on this antique
computer gear (even though this is less than the minimum requirements according to
the company), I cannot imagine it doing so very well.  Personally, I run mine on a
P2 266 with 256MB RAM, and I can tell you, this does not even come close to
running the thing the way I would like.  This program has an insatiable appetite
for system resources and memory, and the best I can hope for, short of spending
30-50k for a new workstation, is that the 32 bit version 5 will be much less of a
hog.  Frankly a 486 with 16 Megs would be like going to war with a pea shooter.
The only way I can see this working at all is if you only trade one or two issues,
and even then, it's probably going to be very slow (and these machines of
yesteryear are slow enough as it is).

As well, keep in mind that while TS 4 is around $2400, it can be paid in 12 equal
monthly installments, interest free.  Depending on your typical net ROI, this
could obviously end up being discounted significantly.  The 10 grand worth of code
has to be viewed with a healthy bit of skepticism - suffice to say that I've seen
some of these, and I'll be kind by saying that one may end up being disappointed.
Still, though, it's being thrown in the deal, so one couldn't complain too much -
although if this is commercial code, there may be copyright considerations here.

I'm not saying that this is a bad deal - it may be just what one of you is looking
for.  However, it is best to ensure that it is before jumping in.

Regards,
A.J.