Subject: Re: GEN: Worthless Pursuit
Date: 03/07/98 01:07pm

Trot,

You clearly raise a number of points that all of have pondered,considered
and examined over many years and many trades.

I know a good many folks who are successful at trading and many are
chronicled in Schwager's books(Market Wizards and New Market Wizzards)as
well as Alan Rubenfeld's "Supertraders".  I've even seen certified results
of a good many very.very successful folks and only a very few have something
to sell.  I've also seen the trading results of many of the most "well know"
and vocal Peddlers.  Like you one quickly draws the conclusions you draw.

Having said that the issue becomes what is really worth learning and what is
hype.

THE BEST TRADERS IN THE WORLD aren't really good at making money.  THEY ARE
- IN FACT- SUPERB at not LOSING IT. IMHO that is the key...I learned a long
time ago that without  genuine certified results(I work for the CBOE which
gives me the unique opportunity to view actual trading performance)there is
more lying about trading results than there is about sex.  Generally the
more visible the bigger the lie.
The really good people RARELY HAVE A PRODUCT TO SELL.  Ironically some of
the best people have their stuff available for free....Sheldon Natenburg's
volatility seminar is a give a way....Tom Dorsey's point and figure work is
a give a way....Terry Haggery(an associate of mine at CBOE and probably one
of the finest option minds around)is a give a way.

Having said that the key is quality education.......not trying to buy a
quick answer silver bullet system.  Read the chapter in "NEW MARKET WIZARDS"
about Blair Hull.
Blair trades dozens of market everyday....with an incredible disipline...and
earns more than some fortune 500 companies.

Don't give up...KEEP LEARNING.....avoid the "experts....gurus......fake
wizzards..and peddlers."  Much of the good stuff is free and almost all the
crap is overpriced.