RE: Your very own Personal Tech Fund! ??? -- Please comment !!!

Neal,

I appreciate your resonse.  However, your characterization is not
acurate.  You compare it to having only TV manufacturers or having only
Tulip Bulb farmers( I too am a fan of historical bubbles).  The concept
of the MSH 35 is that it is not just computer manufacturers(DELL, SUNW),
it is chip makers, makers of the machines that make the chips, online
services, large database apps, special circuits, large telephone PBXs,
ect . . . . . .The whole Value Chain.

To accurately use your TV example of 30 to 40 years ago, you would also
have had TV component makers, the makers of the equipment that makes the
TV components, a content provider (CBS?), an advertising firm, a movie
studio. . . The whole Value Chain.  I dare say that a basket of top
companies back then, selected in a broad sense of the then booming TV
technology world, would have stomped the DOW or the S&P, probably
serveral times over!

If the computer industry, large and PC, along with the internet and soon
to arrive high speed phone lines, is a fad, or will be commoditized real
soon, then this would be a bad idea.  But just as the car changed
society, the internet will too in ways that you may not anticipate.  And
no matter what Ted Kazinski(the unabomber guy) says about technology, it
is only technology, of all sorts, that can save and sustain the growing
world population and aleviate human discomfort.  The internet and
computers in general are desparately wanted throughout the third world.
There are many new networks left to build and the older ones continually
need "the next version".  Homes and cars WILL one day be integrated into
the "Net".

And remember the perfect porportional hedge of the MSH Index Puts for
those sharp tech corrections.  If you own discreet diverse companies
such as tire companies, a restaurant chain, a cardboard box maker, Mary
Kay, ect. . . How would you headge all these during times of
intrepidation?  Can you stay on top of all these different businesses?
If you use the DOW or S&P Index to hedge, these are price weighted
indicies, your hand picked basket would probably fall more than the
index.  If you got in and got out, or bought individual Puts, commission
costs (and your time) would begin to add up.  The MSH 35 is a equal
weighted index, that is composed equally and only of the 35 stocks that
you would watch here on.

I am not convinced that this is "fad investing" that is prohibitively
undiversified.  It still seems to be the best approach for a 5 to 10
year window, that doesn't involve a never ending, time consuming, search
for the ever better growth stock.

Tim Proeber