Re: FUT: S&P trading tactics

> Troy Kelley wrote:
>
> > Traders,
> >
> > I am about to start trading the S&P within a few weeks. I have been
> > paper trading, and I have been pleased with the results so far. Two
> > questions for you experienced S&P traders.
> >
> > How many S&P trades during the day would be too many?
>
> > NW: Less is more.
> >
> > I am thinking that I just want to catch the big morning swings and big
> > afternoon swings, which would be about 4 trades max per day. But I have
> > heard of some experienced traders taking 7 to 8 trades in a day.
> >
> > Do you trade during the lunch time lull from 11:30 to 1:30?
>
> > NW: I wish I could get back all the money I dontated trying to trade
> > during the lunch hour. This is when the market is most likely to waffle
> > and any break outs don't follow thru. Also liquidity is usually less so
> > you may get hurt on your fills if you use stops or market orders. .
>
> > My system seems to work well during this time frame, but the moves tend
> > to be pretty small, so why bother? Or is the leverage enough on the S&P
> > that even if you catch 3/4ths of a point it is worth it.
>
> > NW:  You would trade for 75 cents?  Not  me!  That's like offering cheap
> > auto insurance to a driver with a long DUI record. Unless I think I can
> > make at least 600 points in S&Ps, I am not interested in  daytrading it.
> > Remember, S&Ps are like a drunk driver and you are trying to get paid for
> > taking the risk of having to pay for its craziness. Unless on your
> > winning trades you make more than enough to compensate for its
> > volatility, you will eventually go broke.
>

> > Thanks
> > Troy

  We trade approx. 9-10  trades per day on a minimum.  I guess that it depends
on your goals, objectives, systems and indicators which you are using.  It is
not a 9 -5 job "grunt" job but a 24 hr. per day job.  We trade the Globex
during the night also.  It depends on what your long range goals are - to
marginaly increase your capital account with a higher yield on your investment
or to rapidly try to build it up, quit your job and do this full-time.
Best of luck to you.

Dean