GEN: 45% increase in India's gold consumption in 1997

<x-html><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>

<META content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-1 http-equiv=Content-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV>Hello everybody</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000>I thought this would be interesting in light of recent
attn on Asian economies and gold:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000>Looks like the Indian retail consumer snapped up gold
in 1997 taking advantage of lower prices and easier availability... Indians like
to hoard gold as the ultimate store of value: Protection against stock markets,
political events and rupee exchange rates. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000>Consumption is normally in the form of jewelry mfg. and
virtually no industrial consumption.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>For perspective:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>- India is a top 5 market for world gold; still has controls on currency
and gold import/production but no controls on private ownership. </DIV>
<DIV>- 4-5 years ago the then govt. marginally opened the doors to official
retail imports (which was dominated by smuggled gold from the Middle
East).</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>- In the article below, you'll find use of the word &quot;official&quot; -
the total off-the-books market is estimated to be about half the official GDP
size (1997 GDP = approx $300 billion); mostly made up of unreported and
therefore untaxed&nbsp; gold, currency, real estate and stock market
transactions. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>- During the past 4 years, the Rupee has been controlled-devalued (25%
since 1992), real estate market imploded (down about 60% from its peak in 1994),
the stock market is recovering from a 2 year bear market (which took prices down
about 50%, peak to trough - and then they are up about 40% from trough set late
1995) - and gold prices track international spot prices.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000>- Meantime, the economy grew at 6%pa and inflation
stayed flat between 5% and 6%. India did see I think 3 govts in the past 5 years
- and is about to elect another.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000>Regards</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000></FONT>Gitanshu</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Indians' penchant for acquiring gold has not been
deterred by the<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; depressed economy or the happenings in the Asian
markets. This is<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; amply indicated in the Gold Demand Trend, a
quarterly report released<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; by the World Gold Council, which
states that India consumed a record<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; 737 tonnes in 1997, an
increase of 229 tonnes or 45 per cent over the<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; previous year.
During 1997, the country saw lower domestic gold prices<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; largely
due to downtrend in international prices as also the narrowing<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;
of the domestic price premium versus the international price from
15<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; per cent to nine per cent in December. Other reasons were the
easy<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; availability of official foreign exchange, scrapping of the
special<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; import licenses and the intensified competition among
supplying banks.<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; Official imports during the year went up by 88
per cent to 526.5<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; tonnes from 279.8 tonnes in 1996. This
increase is attributed to the<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; Government's gold market
deregulation measures. From January 1, 1997,<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; NRIs were permitted
to bring 10 kg of gold every six months, twice the<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; previous
quantum. Gold brought in through this route increased by 56<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; per
cent to 397.7 tonnes.<BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>
</x-html>From ???@??? Fri Feb 27 09:55:46 1998