Re: February Break?

At 09:39 AM 2/25/98 -0800, Joe Zelwietro wrote:

>Hello:
>
>I primarily trade currencies and the SP but I am wondering about the
>February Break phenomenon.  I think it refers to grains and beans (only?).
>Is it about how the price of the grains/beans drops as the farmers are
>getting rid of the last of the previous crops and then the price rises as
>the supply becomes low?  Is this right?
>
>Can someone point out some Internet resources about this?
>Is anyone aware if there are any repercussions of the break upon the
>currencies or the equities markets?
>
>Thank you,
>
>Joe Zelwietro

Joe:

Sorry I don't know those sources.  But we should consider this:  the
el Nino effect has left the upper Midwest short of snow.  The soil is
dry going into planting.  Farmers will be pleased from now until
after planting.  Then the agony begins as the sprouting is late.  IF
WE HAVE LESS RAIN THAN USUAL!  Will the corn be knee-high by the Fourth
of July?  I personally don't think so.

Pete

petena9090@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx