Re: PSYCH: TradeStation; GEN: Backtesting

> Hi,
>
> Tradestation
> ############
>
> I am intigued by all the comments over the last few months about this product.
>
> I am not a user of TradeStation, nor based on various comments will be
> likely to become a user.

At the moment, TradeStation is head and shoulders above any competing
product currently on the market. I find it reasonably stable though a
bit of a memory hog and often use the same computer for other tasks
while running TradeStation. Of course, I am not trading a mechanical
system, but am a discretionary trader. If you are using a mechanical
system, then you would be crazy not to run it alone no matter what
program or language you are using.  If you are
trading enough contracts, you would be wise to run a back-up system
as well. This is true of any mechanical system where you cannot miss
a trade.
Easy Language is surprisingly robust and there is an independant mail
list for Omega users on which many EL experts freely give of their
knowledge.
As far as Omega customer support goes, yes, it could and should be
better. However, understand, as I am sure you do, that traders demand
an unusually high level of service, not surprisingly given the money
that is at stake. Part of the frustration is in the fact that
TradeStation comes somewhere near the ideal.
Again, a system of mutual support exists which is
adequate for many people, myself included. An entire infrastructure
of expert programmers and system designers is built around the
TradeStation program and EL.
As far as backtesting goes, TradeStation does an excellent job.

I have no connection with Omega or its products.
JFB
Shaven Heads Trading
NYC