Re: Trading System Design -- Choppiness Index

You may want to check out the book "Beyond Technical Analysis" by Chande.  The
book offers, what I consider, thought starters on a number of trend/counter
trend following systems.

Re: your comment the breakout systems you've traded in the past had a low
average profit per trade.  In an interview with Linda Bradfor Raschke, she
stated that there had been research done that indicated that 5% of accounts
were profitable and the 5% tended to have the highest activity level.  The
average profit tends to be low, so it becomes a function of the activity
level.  I've read a similar discussion by Bob Buran.