Monday Bond Pivots

Don Thompson and all,

In answer to your questions a good explanation for the use of pivots is
contained at the following site. Keep in mind when playing around or
seriously using pivot numbers the reason they are important key numbers
is they are a current price range study and used by many floor traders,
market makers and other professional traders as a simple non-computer
method to know where the price is at during a trading session.

Off-beat pivot numbers creatively developed by other technicians are of
no value as they are not being used by the vast majority, which is
exactly what makes them meaningful at all. So if you intend to use the
pivots be sure to use the traditional formula that the trader's use.

Good Trading,
JD

http://avidtrader.com/table/roadmap.htm<x-html><HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Description" NAME="description" CONTENT="Are you an avid trader? You have found *the* Charting and Technical Analysis website. Free daily updated opinion on the markets; support, resistance and targets in a handy table for day-traders; 24-hour active trader's chat room; trading advisories for stocks, options, mutual funds and short-selling. Combining the prowess of the trader with the power of the web">
  <META HTTP-EQUIV="Keywords" NAME="keywords" CONTENT="Search and reference words: Pitbull, Conductor, Stock, stocks, equity, equities, invest, investing,  investment, investments, trade, trading, stockmarket, market, markets, currency, currencies, bonds, debt instruments, interest rates, precious metals, gold, silver, platinum, world, technical analysis, fundamental analysis, analyst, mutual funds, dow jones, telerate, chart, charts, charting, newsletter, subscription, trading advisory, contest, quote, quotes, data broadcasting, dbc, pc quote, Barrons, Barons, Investors Business Daily, options, Wall Street Journal, Barron's, Federal Reserve, SOES, day-trader, day trader, short, short sell, short selling, pattern, patterns, head and shoulder, ascending triangle, descending triangle, opinion, links, avidtrader, avid, trading advisory, advisories, newsletter, free, mutual momentum, otc surfer, otc, nasdaq, insight information, breakout, break out, break-out, by the horns">
<TITLE>Heads-Up Table road map</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgcolor=000000 link=yellow alink=yellow vlink=yellow>

<TABLE border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 width=100%><TR><TD bgcolor=white width=15%>

</TD><TD width=5% rowspan=2>&nbsp;</TD><TD nowrap valign=top><font size=-1 color=eeeeee>
"<I>Ideas for a better<BR>
understanding of the<BR>
<B>Heads-Up Table</B></I>"<BR></font>

</TD><td valign=absbottom align=right>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>

<!--<HR size=2 noshade>--><I>Heads-Up</I> Table</I>

<TR><TD valign=bottom colspan=5><HR size=2 noshade></TD></TR></TABLE>
<CENTER><table width=5% cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 border=0><tr nowrap>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=-1 face=arial color=eeeeee>
<CENTER><I>We strongly suggest that interested readers print this page for more thorough reading. Simply select "Print Frame" from your browser's "File" drop-down menu.</I><BR></CENTER><P>

<h4>Table Description</h4><font size=-1>
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Support and resistance are actually the same thing, differentiated only by whether the level is being attacked from above (support) or below (resistance). These levels are at first easily discernible by noting where price action tends either to reverse or to break sharlpy upon being tested; too many unsuccessful tests (reversals) and the level is more likely to be broken upon a subsequent test. Other support and resistance points are part of a pattern that is formed during trading, such as a triangle, a head & shoulders, a wedge or flag.<p>

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; These patterns both reflect and create growing buying or selling pressure, and depending upon where they occur within or following other patterns, they project certain targets. These targets, in turn, theoretically satisfy that accumulated buying or selling pressure, and are by definition natural support or resistance levels; a move that continues beyond these levels is likely to continue to the next support or resistance.<p>

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; One may notice that the table reports both upside and downside targets. Patterns can always be interpreted in at least two ways, and even when one is invalidated by a breakout in the wrong direction, it may later become active. While our daily <B><I>Heads-Up</I></B> column takes an opinion, the table may keep alive the outstanding and as yet unfulfilled targets of previous patterns.<BR><p><HR size=1 width=75%><P>

<H4>A <I>Heads-Up</I> Table Roadmap</H4>
<UL><UL>
The following is presented solely as a means<BR>
for better understanding the <B><I>Heads-Up</I> Table</B><BR>
and the probability that certain market action<BR>
will follow the attainment of any of the table's<BR>
entries. The rules outlined herein are not meant<BR>
to be used as a stand-alone decision process<BR>
for executing transactions.</UL></UL>

We could have placed the above disclaimer at the end of this "Roadmap" description, but a careful reading of it first will help to better understand the <B><I>Heads-Up</I> Table</B> application to day-trading the various markets the table covers. The importance of this concept should not be taken lightly. The "Rules" stated below are simply a roadmap to anticipating subsequent subsequent market action.
<P>

The Heads-Up table offers four entries each for Resistance and Support. These levels are determined by patterns that have evolved during the most recent trading. Because patterns often evolve within or otherwise during other patterns, and because either may project to a higher target while the other projects to a lower target, the Table is not making any statement that trading will trend to either level.<P>

	<UL>==> <B>Rule #1</B><BR><DD><B><I>Resistance and Support are not targets.</I></B></UL><BR><P>

The higher or lower the support or resistance levels, the larger are the measurements on which they are based in terms of both price and time, and their prices also tend to be larger in terms of price distance from current prices. Because patterns create either buying or selling pressure, it is more probable that the attainment of the larger patterns' projected targets will more fully satisfy that pressure. This naturally creates resistance or support, and when combined with a prior resistance or support level, it becomes less likely that prices will continue to maintain a trend beyond that level.<P>

The "roadmap" quality of this observation can be applied in two ways. Obviously, the first application would be to anticipate that the current trend will stop; often, this results in a move back to prior resistance or support, which has now taken on the opposite role of becoming either support of resistance. If prices then reverse back to break through the level that originally held, the table's next resistance or support becomes the next objective.<P>

<UL>
	==> <B>Rule #4</B><BR><DD><B><I>Resistance and Support become either Support<BR><DD>or Resistance, respectively, for the balance of<BR><DD>the trading session if prices break through.</I></B><BR><P>

	==> <B>Rule #5</B><BR><DD><B><I>Breaking either Resistance or Support as<BR><DD>defined in Rule #3 above targets the next<BR><DD>Resistance or Support.</I></B><BR><P>

	==> <B>Rule #7</B><BR><DD><B><I>Breaking either Resistance or Support<BR><DD>targets the table's next level.</B></I>
</UL><BR><P>

<UL><UL>Not to beat a dead horse, but the description and rules outlined here are best used as confirmation of observations that a trader may be making in real-time as a trading session progresses. For instance, a sharp morning break that tests Support-2 may also be accompanied by a bearish news report, a large negative tick reading and declining issues far out-numbering advancers. The Table's input is no more predictive of subsequent market action than the other two observations, but when the seperate observations are combined they become powerful: certainly, the odds of a reversal increase, but traders are urged to use the <B><I>Heads-Up</I> Table</B> as they would any other measurement of market internals, not as a signal, but as a roadmap.<BR></UL></UL>

</BLOCKQUOTE>
<CENTER><table width=5% cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 border=0><tr nowrap>
<BR><BR><BR>

<CENTER><font size=-1 color=eeeeee><I>Combining the prowess of the trader with the power of the web</I></font><HR><FONT SIZE=-1 color=eeeeee><I>Please note</I>: The information contained in these
pages is for informational purposes only. Aggressive trading strategies call for aggressive trading tactics such as well-defined entry and exit points, prudent money management and close monitoring of any open
positions. The intellectual and emotional stimulation of fast-paced trading can be addictive, profitable or not. <BR>
<P>Please send all general inquiries to <B>Avid Trading
Co.</B> at avid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<BR>&copy <B>Avid Trading Co.</B> (913)663-2366 or toll-free number provided to subscribers.</FONT><BR></CENTER>

</BODY>
</HTML></x-html>From ???@??? Sun Feb 08 10:05:33 1998