Re: DAY-- Good Monitors/Trading Stations?

Dan Tillemans wrote:

> I am looking for an experienced trader to talk trading station hardware.
> It's time for me to take the plunge on a new system. I  have been trading
> on one 15" monitor.

> I am about to buy two to  four 19" monitors from Dell, (made with the
> flat, low glare, high resolution 19" Hitachi tube that is used by Dell,
Micron,
> MAG, Gateway, and others).  I  was wondering if other traders are using
> this monitor?  Other models to recommend?
>
> Will 19" do it or do I really need the 21" jumbos?

Bigger is always better as long as it is within your price range.  I operate
multiple monitors ranging from 19" to 20".  My trading system has 3- 20"
monitors (of different brands) and 1- 19" monitors.  The 19" and 20"
monitors do a great job but if you can purchase the 21"ers without paying
too much more than the 19 or 20's, do it.

As for brand, I have found that is often personal preference.  Ideally, you
should look for .28 dot pitch or better (the lower the # the better)
although I have a Sony 20sf-II that is a .30 dot pitch and I notice no
difference compared to my lower/better dot pitch monitors (actually, it is
one of my favorite monitors).   Getting a .26 dot pitch doesn't seen to give
you much of an advantage if you are basically only looking at charts/quotes.
Go look at the monitors you are considering side by side, to see which one
you actually prefer.

> What do you think of the  Dell PII 300 XPS Dimension system---for the
> brains behind the monitors? (64 megs of RAM, 6.4 gig HD)

I'm not familiar with this specific system but can offer you some spec to
look for in a system.

The first thing you may want to consider is the software you are using and
what it requires in computer hardware.  On my main computer, I use Omega
software and am currently operating a 150 Pentium, 64 megs, a 3.1 gig hard
drive, and a Colorgraphic Quad Pro Lightning video card that works with 4
monitors.  This system works just fine for it's intended purpose.

If I were to purchase a system now in anticipation of higher speed
requirements from the upcoming software upgrades, I would look towards at
least a 200 or 233 mhz Pentium, at least 64 megs Ram, and a 5 or 6 gig hard
drive should be more than enough.

 > Is the Colorgraphics "Evolution 4" with 4 megs of SGRAM per monitor a
>good video card  to support 4 monitors?

Yes, it is a great video card.  Prior to getting my Colorgraphics card, I
researched the 4/5 different multi-monitor video card brands and came to the
conclusion that Colorgraphics offered one of the best, most reliable,
fastest cards at the most competitive prices on the market.

Depending on the computer system you get, particularly the specific
motherboard it has, will be the deciding factor of whether you should
purchase the Colorgraphics Quad Pro Lightning or the Colorgraphics Evolution
4 (which requires a 100% PCI version 2.1 compliant motherboard).

The multi-monitor video card is the best thing since apple pie, assuming
your a trader :)

Good luck with your new system!

Steve
stevess@xxxxxxx