How does this 'contrarian' trading system work?

This is a part of an article in a trading magazine:

'A theoretical model operates a long account and a short account.  By
using a management tool for averaging, we take the net result - the
difference between identified long and short positions - to the market'
'In a sense, the theory involves a form of internal hedging'

They were using this to trade a stock index.  They somehow decide how much
longs and how much shorts to maintain and decided when to take profits and
when to average.

But how does having two account work?  I thought you'd just get killed by
the brokerage...