Re: GEN: Something fun to think about

On Oct 30,  8:30am, Eric wrote:
> Subject: Re: GEN: Something fun to think about
> > Given a slow bear vs a quick crash, they could be enticed to hang on all the way down ( where ever down is ) with each small upturn being the hope that keeps em hangin on.  Of course,  sitting tight would work just fine if we were not all cursed with such short life spans. I'm not saying this is what is happening or that this is what is going to happen, just something fun to think about.

Has anyone looked at the 'classic' bear market periods for the
DJIA, or say, the Nikei?  Don't bear markets generally occur
fairly quickly (in terms of percentage drop, vs. how long it
took for the same percentage to be gained)?  And then ... after
that they tend to flat line, or just not appreciate vs. inflation.
Have I got that right, or has one of these protracted bear markets
occurred?

My opinion is that these days, if there were sufficient market
weakness and fundamentals at hand that well-monied speculators
would push the markets down in a hurry.

What I do find interesting, is that on CNBC, they've interviewed
a few money managers/analysts for the major brokerages who are
talking up the idea of reallocating assets out stocks into bonds,
for example.   Maybe CNBC was just interviewing the bond salesman,
I don't remember .... however, it seems we're starting to hear
more of that sort of talk than we used to.  Of course, I'm a
"brokerage contrarian" and this sort of thing generally makes
me want to do the opposite ... :)

--