Re: Use of Open Interest

Personally I watch open interest more closely as expiry approaches. If there is
considerable open interest in deep in the money calls, for example, I expect the market
to get gunned into expiration. However, during the final week, I pay close attention to
the movement in the final hour. A vertical climb in the OEX suggests to me that much of
these in-the-money calls will be exercised at the close. Whether or not this happens can
be verified with the CBOE the next morning.

Such an exercise portends a down opening. I do not have enough data to prove this, it is
only based on having witnessed it happening for a year or so. I only started to collect
the data during August. Like someone else said here, I don't want to spend too
much time collecting data, I want to trade

--Patrick Slevin