GEN: clarifying the HTLT indicator

Clyde Lee wrote:

Ron,
For a number of years I have used something similar.

I compute the average of the Highest High and Lowest
Low ( (hh+ll)/2 ) and compare that against the close.
I also use the high and low for the day in question.

A simple system calls to execute trade at next open either
long or short (basically a SAR system).

Ronald McEwan wrote:

> The HTLT indicator is constructed by plotting the Extreme high and low
> for
>
> I used the following formula in excel to calculate the HTLT:
>
> =MEDIAN(MAX(Hi Today : Hi 10days ago),MIN(Lo Today : Lo 10days ago)
>
> Plot this along with the close. I think this is what BG is saying.
Clyde,

Something else that I just tried which I beleive adds something to the
HTLT.
I set up  columns in the spreadsheet with a 3,5,8,13,21 day lookback.
This gives me a better idea of how the short term trend is changing
relative to the longer term trend. Then I added a max and min statement
for these rows. The max and min statements I used for the crossover
plots. While this may not be a perfect market timing tool, I think it is
a very simple and effective way of analyzing trends. K.I.S.S.

Thanks,
Ron McEwan