Re: FUTR:GEN Fills

  • To: RealTraders Discussion Group <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: FUTR:GEN Fills
  • From: "J.P. Oliver" <tropinc@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 17:38:14 -0700 (PDT)

<x-html><HTML>
ray barros wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Hi Bill

<P>======================================================================
<BR>On Mon, 15 Sep 1997 15:36:09 -0400&nbsp; bill wolfe wrote:
<BR>>If this is a repost please disregard it did not get back to me.
<BR>>
<BR>>Rts,

<P>>At 8:30am&nbsp; central time (before the opening) I placed an
<BR>>order with my broker to short this market from 374.00. Guess what
<BR>>happened? It opened at 373.75 went to 374.00 and went as low as 366.50.
<BR>>BUT, my broker informed me that I did NOT get filled! Can anyone tell
me
<BR>>why I didn't get filled when my target price got hit?
<BR>================================================================

<P>In a normal market ie not a "fast" etc, unless you get penetration of
<BR>your price, you are not entitled to a fill.

<P>regards

<P>ray
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
Because it's true that one is not entitled to a fill unless the limit order
is penetrated, a strategy that I use in bonds when I want to be <I>sure</I>
of a fill&nbsp; is the "MIT" order, in markets that will accept it (ask
your broker - the bond pit will...although I believe the wheat pit won't...).
MIT is the acronym for "market if touched." It is executed as your <U>limit</U>
order (such as 374.00 above) becomes a <U>market</U> order when touched/traded.
The fill often is NOT at your price, but normally one tick from it in a
liquid market. However, in the case above, getting into the market was
more important than getting the entry just exactly right. That is, one
would rather give up 1/2 cent to avoid missing an 8 cent move!

<P>Jim Oliver

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;</HTML>
</x-html>From ???@??? Mon Sep 15 20:12:07 1997