Re: Off Topic - XP - SP2

Ray wrote:
>This is off topic, but hoping someone can offer advice from their
>experience. Wondering if anyone has upgraded their OS from XP
>service pack 1 to SP2. If so, did the upgrade go smoothly (sorry,
>but have been bitten by MS upgrades before), and did you notice any
>performance benefits / hits? - real security benefits? Would you do
>it again if you were running SP1?

My experience wasn't noteworthy in any way, and probably pretty
typical.  Nothing bad happened.  Nothing broke except VPN on my
laptop (I don't need VPN on my desktops), and Microsoft had an
un-advertised patch for that, which I installed.

After upgrading, I went to http://www.blackviper.com to make sure my
services were set properly for SP2, and make sure that the services
that Microsoft wants enabled which don't benefit me, are disabled.
Blackviper is an excellent resource for service settings.

I had to figure out how to un-install Messenger again.  Also there
was a trick to disabling alerts from the Security Monitor (I already
know that my firewall is off etc., I don't need continual pop-up
reminders).

Other than that, nothing bit me.  I don't notice any performance
benefits.

Security?  The ONLY security benefit is the ability to download
more patches from the Windows Update site (you can't get the latest
security fixes with SP1).  The intrinsic security benefits are
nonexistent because you'll probably find that you have to disable
the builtin firewall for one reason or other.

Would I do it again?  Sure.  I've upgraded 3 computers at home and 1
at work already.

--
 //  \     Unicorn Research Corporation -- http://unicorn.us.com
 // __)    HTML FORMATTED MAIL SENT HERE WILL BE REJECTED AS SPAM.