Re: Tradestation 8 - upgrade or downgrade from 2000i?

At 10:52 PM 4/23/2005, Alex wrote:

>I'm curious as to others opinions - is TS8 an upgrade or a downgrade from 2000i. From my perspective, I see it as a downgrade for a few key reasons

I will address your negatives below but you sure seem to be ignorant of all the hundreds of positives. Have you tried it?

>1) Retarded monthly fee structure

Includes real-time data and the total cost is about half the cost of real-time data from other sources.

>2) Problems with a few key functions (atleast that I use regularly and had to find workarounds to)

I have had no problems with any functions. Perhaps you could be specific.

>3) Unable to import your own ASCII data files (I know there are a few ways to do it using 3rd party programs, but I"ll be damned if I'm going to pay $1999 to be able to do something TS2000i did for free)

Why do you need ASCII files? Just type in the symbol and the chart appears. (Reading ASCII files is in the new version anyway.)

>4) They seemed to have "dumbed" it down to make it easier for the average person to use, as opposed to an experienced trader (no offence meant towards anybody, this is just my thought on it)

Yes. It is a lot easier to use. No need to work around the limitations of 2000i: 64 bit arithmetic for much better accuracy, longer file names and variable names, more complete programming structures, no need to spend time managing data, and all existing 2000i programs still work.

>Everyone I work with shares similar feelings to it. How about you guys?

You sound like the old guy who bought his first automobile and complained that there was no place to attach his horse...

Bob Fulks