Re: OT - backup storage devices

I forgot to mention the Serial drives will run 800 to 900 MB/min easy
unless all your files are 3 kb.  Also it only takes two of them to run
in RAID.

Jimmy

I've been using a removable, internal hard disk for backing up and
archiving.  I'm looking to upgrade and wanted to see what technologies
you guys are using.

The benefit of a removable internal drive is that it's nearly twice as
fast as USB 2.0 and Firewire.  It connects directly to the IDE
controller so reported throughput is more than 1 GB/minute (though in
practice it's more like 200-400 MB/minute because of file handling.
The downside is it's not hot-swappable.

With archiving, I need capacity so the neat little USB micro drives
aren't really an option.

So, I guess my priorities are portability for off-site storage,
capacity and speed.  Any suggestions?

--
Thailand: an ad for donkey rides asked Would you like to ride on your own ass?.